Thursday 17 March 2011

Sewing on paper

I just came back from MJ's hen do, a girly weekend in a massive country house. It was amazing, the house was like something out of Pride and Prejudice and we had the whole thing to ourselves! It snowed as well, so everything was covered in a light dusting, it was very fairy-tale-esque, I'd love to go back there and just spend a weekend walking and reading by the massive open fire.

Each hen had to contribute a page to MJ's hen party scrapbook, complete with a photo of ourselves and/or MJ. We also had to write a little something, either something poignant or funny or a story or poem. I'm rubbish at stuff like that, especially when put on the spot, so I went for making mine in advance. I printed out this lovely quote from Captain Corelli's Mandolin by Louis de Bernieres (I've always thought I'd have this read at my wedding), stuck it onto card and then sewed around the card in pink thread. The card was some lovely thick stuff my Mum gave me when she worked at The Paper Trail, a working paper mill in Hertfordshire.

Photobucket

I'd definitely do this again, sewing on card was really satisfying!

Here's the quote in case you're interested:

Love is a temporary madness. It erupts like an earthquake and then subsides. And when it subsides you have to make a decision. You have to work out whether your roots have become so entwined together that it is inconceivable that you should ever part. Because this is what love is. Love is not breathlessness, it is not excitement, it is not the promulgation of promises of eternal passion. That is just being in love which any of us can convince ourselves we are. Love itself is what is left over when being in love has burned away, and this is both an art and a fortunate accident. Your mother and I had it, we had roots that grew towards each other underground, and when all the pretty blossom had fallen from our branches we found that we were one tree and not two.

It's an amazing book, definitely worth reading ♥

4 comments:

Katha said...

the card is beautiful, a very nice idea and i love the quote!
i might try it too =)

SewHappyGeek said...

Dude, that's awesome! You are so sweet!

Unknown said...

Aww, thanks ladies! :-)

M-J said...

I re-read the hen do book last night and properly started crying again! you missed the meal so didn't see my getting it, but there were lots of tears then, Shona's poem was a real tear jerker! It is a lovely quote, so thoughtful. And the sewing on card worked really well, definitely going to try that when I get my gift list sewing machine! Thanks Amy, you're the best! xxx