Monday 6 December 2010

Vintage brooches

It's another snow day here in Edinburgh, I made it into uni but almost got stuck and after a slightly hairy drive home (mental note: don't take the small, unploughed, ungritted side roads in the future) am now safely back in my flat.

I'm still beavering away with Christmas presents and since I can't show you half of them because they're for people who read the blog, I thought I'd share these photos of the various vintage brooches I've collected over the years.

There are more to come but I lost the light before I could take them all. Today I'm going to showcase the ones that have come from my family, tomorrow will be thrifted brooches.

These ones came from my Gran when she died, she was quite into her costume jewellery since they never really had enough money to buy the real thing. I really like how sparkley they are though, there's one that goes with almost everything in my wardrobe. I wear them mainly on lapels, though I went through a phase of wearing one on my beret.

Photobucket

This one came from my Mum, she used to wear it when she was at uni. I'm totally gutted that it's lost a stone, it fell out in the car one time and I managed to find it and glue it back on. Then another one fell out in the pub one night and that one was gone forever. When I have some money I'm going to take it to a jeweller and see if they can replace it. It's another one that goes with everything since it has so many different colours in the stones.

Photobucket

This one came from Viv, my mother-in-law. It was originally either her mother or her mother-in-law's, I can't remember which she said. I only got it a few weeks ago, she was clearing out her jewellery box and found a load of stuff she didn't wear anymore. It's so pretty, I haven't worn it yet, I might save it and wear it on Christmas Day.

Photobucket

I love jewellry with a bit of history, at some point I'm going to build a brooch holder to display them all!

No comments: