Sunday 16 September 2012

Thrifted sweaters to winter blanket

Back in 2010 I made Andrew a blanket out of thrifted wool sweaters and backed with fake fur. It's a lovely warm, heavy blanket but it's always bothered me how...well, ugly it is. I didn't really have a plan when I made it, just felted the jumpers and went to town, cutting and sewing as I went.

























Source: eddiebauer.com via Amy on Pinterest

 I've always planned to make another, prettier one and saw these on Pinterest a while back so pinned them as inspiration. Then, a few months ago, Imogene moved into a new flat and needed a blanket. I'd recently inherited a few blankets from a friend emigrating so I put two and two together and came up with a new sewing project!

040















038039This project has also been great as a stash bust, many of these blankets were once in my Etsy shop, before I shut down the vintage section. I love working with felted wool, it's so satisfying to sew. Imogene said that since the backing blanket was from Alison, it'll make her think of both me and Alison when she's snuggled underneath. Can't get much more approval of your craft than that really!

No comments: