Tuesday 26 June 2012

Thrifty wedding veil

What can you do with a lace curtain, a glue gun, an old hairband and an assortment of collected broken jewellery?  Why, make a veil for a hen do of course!

032

A friend from vet school is getting married in September and her hen do (or batchelorette party for those of you reading abroad!) was last Thursday.  It was a civilised affair as she's quite a religious chick, involving afternoon tea at the Botanic Gardens, followed by a film at Edinburgh's finest independent cinema (we saw The Angel's Share for anyone interested, it was brilliant, I would definitely recommend it!), followed by games and drinks. 

20120618_190120

I was in charge of 'pin the trunks on the hunk' and 'pass the parcel' and the veil.  Since I'm rather strapped for cash at the moment (graduating is EXPENSIVE) I decided to have a bash at making one and I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out.

20120618_190601

I removed the fabric covering from an old hairband, hemmed a lace curtain from my stash on 3 sides to stop it fraying and created a tunnel at the top for the hairband to slip through.  I glued that in place with my trusty glue gun and then hand stitched a string of faux pearls from a broken necklace across the band. 

20120618_190232

It's so long!

All in all, it worked quite well.  I left the curtain long because I thought it was too pretty to cut but the problem with that plan was that it was quite heavy and kept dragging itself off Louise's head.  Design flaw there.

20120618_190613

She seemed pleased though.  I maintain that more penises should have been involved in the whole day but I was shot down.  What can you do, eh?

20120618_190058

2 comments:

M-J said...

Wow, it's so pretty! You could totally wear this on your wedding day when Dyce pops the question (which better be soon by the way, we have hardly any weddings to go to at the moment!). It's amazing what you can rustle up with an old curtain and a glue gun!

Unknown said...

Haha, I'll get right on that! The glue gun was definitely the best craft buy ever, my brother gave it to me and it's been so useful!